Friday, December 01, 2006

Christmas is Coming with Linzer Cookies

The holiday season is officially around the corner and nothing gets me in the spirit more than baking Christmas cookies! We usually kick-off our baking with our Czech "Linecke" cookies... or Linzer cookies. Although labor intensive, they always come out soft and chewy with a sweet filling surprise and we love to enjoy these during the holidays. The classic recipe calls for a raspberry preserve filling, however I like to experiment with other flavors as well. Aside from raspberry, I used an apricot preserve, a blueberry preserve, and also a pumpkin pecan butter that was surprisingly delicious!
Linecke Cookies
*1/4 cup butter, softened
*1 tablespoon oil
*3/4 cup sugar
*Grated peel of one lemon
*1 large egg
*1 teaspoon cooking rum
*2 cups of flour
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*Fruit preserves of your choice
*Confectioner's sugar

Beat butter, oil, sugar, and lemon peel until light and blended. Beat in egg and rum until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to sugar mixture and stir by hand just until dough is soft. Divide dough in half, shape each half into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Between 2 pieces of wax paper, roll out on disk to 1/4-inch thickness, Cut out cookies using a round cookie cutter, Using a 1/2-inch shaped cutter, cut centers out of half the cookies. Place cookies 2 to 3 inches apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden around edges. Transfer to rack to cool. Repeat with remaining disk, re-rolling scraps to get as many cookies as possible. Spread solid cookies with preserves and sprinkle cut-out cookies lightly with confectioners' sugar. Top each solid cookie with a cut-out cookie.


13 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I would like some raspberries with mine :)

Rachel said...

These look great. I am always tempted to make these, but they are so fussy!

Anonymous said...

Ooo, apricot and blueberry linzers! I want one!! Those look and sound like perfection. :)

You know I be crazy about apricots!

Ari (Baking and Books)

Anonymous said...

Dianka,

Those are so cute!

chili&vanilia said...

Oh, how I love these. It reminds me of my childhood when we used to bake hundreds of those "vanocni cukrovinky" with paní Andulka, a sweet old Czech lady..Thanks, Dianko!

Anonymous said...

These looks just delicious Dianka, I have never tried to make them but had promised myself to this year!

Anonymous said...

They look brilliant Dianka. Worth all the effort I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Your cookies look terrific!

Paz

Anonymous said...

The pumpkin pecan butter sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I baked linzer torte but never the cookies. Sounds wonderful Dianka!

greetings,

Marieke

Gourmetish said...

Yum..I missed all sorts of great stuff that you posted over the last month or so. I love linzer cookies...these sound great. I'm going to have to try all of these great Czech recipes you have so that I can make my son think that I know more about my Czech heritage than I really do :)! Hope you're doing well! Look me up the next time you're in the area.

Anonymous said...

b7OGjw Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

la petite gourmande said...

I love, love love linecke! I poked around on Google, hoping to find a few recipes (I'm impatient and am waiting for my mom to write our my Babi's recipe for me), and I found your blog. Děkuji moc for posting the recipe- I am really excited to try it!