Saturday, January 21, 2006

My Grandma's Apple Strudel


I wanted to share my Grandma's Apple Strudel recipe from the Czech Republic! There used to be a time when my grandma would make the pastry dough from scratch but she has discovered the beauty/convenience of store bought phyllo pastry dough. This is probably the only short-cut I have ever seen her make during baking but really, who can blame her? The dough bakes just as flaky and delicate as homemade and it saves a whole mornings' worth of hard work! Apple Strudel is simple, relatively light, and can be paired with a number of delicious sides. My personal favorite is a warm apple strudel slice over a vanilla cream or pudding sauce. Vanilla ice cream and berries accompany it perfectly as well!

Grandma's Apple Strudel (makes one log)
*1 package of store-bought phyllo pastry dough (6 layers)
*1/2 stick of melted butter
*1/2 cup of dark rum
*1 pound of tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
*1/4 cup of brown sugar
*1/2 cup breadcrumbs
*1 teaspoon of cinnamon
*1/2 cup raisins
*1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine melted butter with 1/4 cup of rum. Stack layers of dough on a cookie sheet, lightly brushing each layer with the butter/rum mixture before topping with the next layer. Brush top layer with the butter/rum mixture. In a bowl combine sliced apples, breadcrumbs, brown sugar, 1/4 cup of rum, raisins, cinnamon, and walnuts. Spoon filling down the left long-side of the phyllo pastry rectangle. Fold the top edge down and the bottom edge up, enough to cover the filling (about 2 inches). Roll dough up along long-side to enclose filling. Make small fork incisions atop the log in order for the apples to bake evenly. Brush the strudel log with remaining butter/rum mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar to taste. Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Absoulutely beautiful and delicious looking. The strudel with ice cream and berries sound like a real treat.

Na Zdravi!
Paz

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! I love apple strudel. Made one so long ago. I remember the dough being so thin!
Btw, went to Praha twice and loved it!

Anonymous said...

Just found your site today, but I'll definitely be back! Thanks for the link, too.

Your grandmother's Apple Streudel looks amazing! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Oooh apple strudel has to be one of the best desserts ever invented... I LOVE it and these look especially good.. YUM!

AmazinAlison said...

This recipe looks perfect. I've altered other recipes to make something similar, but never had one that came straight from "grandma!" I'll try it out next week, as I "owe" a strudel.

Thanks!

Sally Anderson said...

Yum! I was so happy to find a Czech recipe for strudel. Im also of Czech descent living in CA and this recipe was a good treat. I suppose the "dark rum" would be boskov? It was delicious.
Dekuji!

Unknown said...

I made your grandma's apple streudel and it was absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing.