One of Ry's requests while he is away is that I learn how to make my mom's Czech specialities! So as a result, this Easter Sunday, my mom walked me through baking the most popular Czech specialty- Kolace. These famous Czech pastries have been around for centuries and are baked for any and all special occasions.. Making kolace is quite a process however, the result is definitely worth while and the smell that fills your home while baking kolace is heaven. Easter in our family is all about making kolace, otherwise Grandma wouldn't be proud!
Kolace are made with traditional pastry dough that must be kneaded and left to rise for about an hour. The risen dough should double in size from your original dough (shown above).
Kolace are then filled with various fillings according to your liking. The most traditional filling is a farmer's cheese filling with raisins and lemon zest. We also use a poppy seed filling, an apple and cinnamon filling, and a cream cheese and strawberry filling.
Fillings are then wrapped into the dough and topped with a thick prune jam and a "Posypka" (similar to a streusel topping). Pop in the oven and serve warm!Czech Kolace
Dough:
* 4 cups cake flour (such as Wondra)
* 2 packages dry yeast
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 cup milk
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* lemon zest
* 2/3 cup vegetable oil
Add flour, both yeast packages, salt, and sugar to the bowl of a Kitchen Aid Mixer. In a separate bowl, heat milk until warm (about 50 seconds in the microwave). Beat eggs into the milk and add vanilla and lemon zest. Add liquids to the dry ingredients and add the oil last. Knead the dough in your mixer for about 4 minutes, until well blended and glossy. Cover bowl and transfer to a warm place for about an hour, until dough has doubled in size. While dough is rising, proceed with making the fillings.
Farmer's Cheese Filling:
Combine 1 cup Farmer's Cheese (can use cottage cheese), 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg white, 3/4 cup raisins, 2 tablespoons dark rum, and lemon zest.
Poppy Seed Filling:
Combine 1 cup Solo Poppy Seed filling, 1 tablespoon prune jam, 1 teaspoon sugar, and lemon zest.
Apple Cinnamon Filling:
Combine 1 grated apple, 2 tablespoons raisins, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, and lemon zest.
Strawberry Filling:
Combine 1/2 cup of cream cheese, 1 egg white, 1/4 cup sugar, and 4-5 fresh hulled and sliced strawberries.
Once dough has risen, cut off small portions of dough about the size of an egg. Spread each dough ball out, place filling of choice in the middle, and pinch all sides to seal completely. Place sealed side down on a greased cookie sheet. Coat each pastry with an egg wash for a nice golden color. Top each pastry with a teaspoon of prune jam and a pinch of Posypka (Combine 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of dark run, and lemon zest). Bake kolace in a 500 degree oven for exactly 10 minutes.

10 comments:
Oh, yum! It is a process but you make it sound easy. Looks really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.
Best,
Paz
Bravissima, Dianka!
I love these! And I think it's wonderful that you are making the recipe you learned from your grandmother. I love when I hear stories about food traditions being carried on.
I've bookmarking this one and will give it a try. Even though Italian culture is rich with foods and baked goods, I have a passion for the foods and sweets of Eastern Europe. I have always wanted to visit the Czech Republic ... I'd love to be eating one of these over a lovely coffee in Prague.
Have you ever been?
Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Hi Dianka. Nice site! I am excited to see you have posted a recipe for Kolache, yum!
Dianka I'd like to make these. Can you tell me how many grams of yeast to use. We don't get yeast in packets here.
Wow. Now how am I going to make kolache. They will pale in comparison to yours. They truly look like you bought them in the best Czech bakery ever. When I feel better I'll make my grandma's recipe and we can compare. If they don't turn out well I'm totally borrowing your recipe. Have so much fun on your trip and Happy Easter!
Yum - I love kolache and yours look delicious!
Oooh these look delicious, another recipe for my to do list!
Dear Dianka,
thank you very much for this recipe, kolace is really one of my childhood memories. I'm Hungarian,living in Brussels, but I lived 5 years in Prague when I was a child. A jeste trosku mluvim cesky. A kolace mam hrozne rada, zkusím je nekdy udelat. Díky mockrat!
I have family in West, TX, which is a little Czech town. We go back every two years for a family reunion and I always look forward to the fresh baked kolache. YUMMY!!! I'm thrilled to have a recipe to try. I know it takes practice, but I'll give it a whirl and see how they come out.
My grandmother is from Hungary, and it is obvious that these are nothing like the Hungarian version of Kolache. Ours are not individuals, but a roll that slices are taken from.
Post a Comment